Eid ul-Fitr is one of the two major holidays celebrated by all Muslims of the world. It comes at the end of Ramadan- the fasting month. It is a day of celebration and giving thanks to Allah, our Creator and Cherisher. Most Muslims celebrate Eid for at three days.
Prophet Muhammad used to do the following on the day of Eid (Sunnah), May Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him:
- To rise early in the morning.
- Take a full bath.
- Clean the teeth.
- Wear the best clothes that he had.
- Wear perfume.
- To eat something sweet like dates before leaving home.
- Go to the Eid prayer location very early. (The Prophet used to offer Eid prayer in a central location instead of offerring it in a mosque of a locality without any legitimate excuse).
- The Prophet used to go to the Eid Prayer location by one route and will return through another route.
- He used to go for Eid on foot.
- He used to chant slowly on the way to the Eid prayer location the following words: “Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Laa ilaaha illallahu Wallahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Wa lillahil Hamd.” (Translation: Allah is the greatest, He is the greatest. There is no god except Allah. He is the greatest. All praises and thanks are for Him)
- The Prophet used to give Sadqa-e-Fitr (zakatul fitr) before the Eid day. (Giving just before Eid is fine, but against the spirit and its purpose. Ask your local mosque about how much and where to pay)
Method of Eid prayers
Eid prayer consists of two units of prayer (Rakas) with six Takbeers (the raising of the hands while saying Allahu Akbar [God is the Greatest]) in congregation, followed by the Khutba (sermon) of Eid.
|Follow the Imam by raising both hands up to the ears, say Allahu Akbar, this is the first Takbeer to enter in the Salat.|
|Then fold your hands in the front and recite the ‘Sanaa’, (“subhaanakallahumma..). till the end, and|
|Then say Allahu Akbar thrice, following you imam, each time raising both hands up to the ears and dropping them. After each takbeer there is going to be a slight pause in which Subhanallah may be recited thrice.|
|After the third Takbeer the hands should be folded in front and listen to the imam reciting Aoozubillah, Bismillah, Surah Fateha and some other Surah and|
|Then perform Ruku (bowing) as Imam says Allahu Akbar and|
|Then go to Sajdah (prostration) as usual following your Imam’s Takbeer.|
|In the second Raka, the Imam will first recite Surah Fateha and some other Surah. Then he will say three Takbeers after it. In all of these three Takbeer’s hands will not to be folded but dropped after each Takbeer. And|
|Then go into the Ruku just after the fourth takbeer.|
|Listening to the Khutbah after the Eid Salaat is Waajib (obligatory).|